White Chili - chili blanco con pollo
2 Lbs. dried Northern beans
1 Tbls. ground oregano
2 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (or to taste)
4 1/2 qts. chicken broth
6 large green chiles - chopped
1 1/2 cups diced onion
8 large tomatillos - diced (Green Tomatoes) Do not use the canned tomatillos.
2 cloves garlic - minced
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
8 boned and skinned chicken breast halves
(or substitute with 2 lbs of Pork Shoulder/Pork Roast)
- Place beans in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let soak for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans.
- In a 5 quart Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender.
- Combine oregano, cumin, coriander, cilantro, salt, and cayenne pepper. Divide in half.
- Stir half of the seasoning mixture into the onions. Add beans, broth, and garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Cube chicken breasts and add to the beans. Stir in chilies. Simmer for 3 hours.
- Recipe submitted by Troy