Turkey Chili II
1/4 cup olive oil
3 pounds raw ground turkey
6 tablespoons chili powder
3 teaspoons salt, or to taste
10 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground marjoram
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons ground paprika
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
7 tablespoons cornmeal
Cooked pinto or kidney beans (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a 6-quart pot. Add ground turkey; sear over high heat. Stir until meat is gray, not brown.
- Add 1 quart water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour; skim off fat.
- Add chili powder, salt, garlic, cumin, marjoram, red pepper, black pepper, sugar, cocoa powder and paprika. Simmer 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cornmeal and 3/4 cup cold water. Stir into turkey mixture; stir for 5 minutes. Mixture will be very thick. Let cool and store in refrigerator.
- To serve, add water to make chili of desired consistency. Reheat to simmering; serve hot. Cooked pinto or kidney beans can be added to chili, if desired.