Tucson Mission Chili
- 1 pound beefsteak, coarsely ground
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons lard or shortening
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tomato, diced
- Mix together the beefsteak and onion.
- Heat lard in a pan, then add beefsteak-onion mix. While it browns, sprinkle it with the flour, then salt and pepper to taste. Add chili powder to the boiling water and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the chili water to the browned meat, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add tomato and simmer for 20 minutes or until thickened to desired consistency.
- Makes 4 servings