Texas Turkey Chili
2 cups pinto or red kidney beans
2 TB canola oil
11/2 cups finely chopped onion
11/2 finely chopped garlic
2 large green peppers, diced
1 tsp ground cumin
4 tsp chile powder
pinch cayenne pepper
1 tsp oregano
4 cups chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned
2 cups water
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup red wine
sea salt to taste (optional)
grated cheddar cheese for garnish
- Cover beans with water and soak overnight. Drain.
- Sear the meat until it turns to grey; drain off excess fat.
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Add onion, garlic, green pepper, cumin, chile powder, cayenne, and oregano. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, water, bay leaf, red wine, salt, and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 11/2–2 hours, until beans are tender.
- Taste for seasoning and garnish with spoonfuls of grated cheddar cheese.
- Makes 10 servings
- Recipe by Whole Foods Market