3 lbs. lean beef, cubed or coarsely ground
1/4 cup salad oil
6 cups water
2 bay leaves
6 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon salt
10 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon oregano leaves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon red pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
3 tablespoons flour
6 tablespoons cornmeal
- In a 6-quart saucepan, sear beef (cubed or coarsely ground) in salad oil until beef color is gray, not brown.
- Add water, bay leaves, chili powder, salt, garlic, cumin seeds, oregano, red pep- per, pepper, sugar, paprika and onion flakes. Simmer, covered, 2 hours.
- Cool. Refrigerate overnight so flavors will mellow. Remove top layer of solidified fat.
- Reheat. With a little cold water make a paste of flour and cornmeal. Add paste to chili. To obtain a smooth texture, cook and stir 5-7 minutes after thickening has been added. Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Makes 6 servings
- Recipe by Quail Ridge Press