Texas Chili VIII
1 (3 pound) round steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 pound ground chuck
1 pound pinto beans
2 quarts tomatoes
1 pound yellow onions
3 sweet bell peppers
5 dried chile peppers
1/2 cup chili powder
1/4 cup Crisco
2 tablespoons Crisco
1/2 gallon water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Soak pinto beans in 1/2 gallon water overnight in refrigerator.
- In a 10- to 12-inch skillet, brown round steak in the 1/4 cup Crisco, stirring frequently.
- In another skillet, brown ground chuck on low heat, stirring frequently for 10 minutes.
- Cut up onions and bell peppers in 1/2-inch pieces. Add to ground chuck with 2 tablespoons Crisco and sauté for approximately 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Mince chile peppers very fine.
- In a large 8-quart or larger kettle, combine pinto beans, browned round steak, sautéed ground chuck, onions, peppers, 2 quarts tomatoes, minced chile peppers and the 1/2 cup chili powder; cook covered on simmer for 2 hours.
- Add salt and red pepper to taste. Add sugar and simmer for 4 hours. Add additional water sparingly, if necessary.
- Taste and add more chili powder, salt, red pepper and sugar as desired. Simmer 1 hour (total cooking time is 7 hours).
- Serve with Texas toast or oyster crackers and ice cold milk or iced tea.