Texas Chili VII
1 (3 lbs.) chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
3 onions, minced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 tablespoons Masa Harina
1 jalapeño pepper, minced
1 teaspoon oregano
Cheddar cheese, shredded
- When preparing the meat, remove as much fat as possible.
- Heat olive oil to smoking in a heavy kettle and add meat. Cook until meat is light colored.
- Add onions and garlic. Add 2 to 3 cups water to cover and mix. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add chili powder, oregano, cumin and salt; cook slowly for 1 hour more, stirring occasionally.
- Stir Masa Harina into 1/4 cup of cold water. Add to chili.
- Add jalapeño peppers. Continue to cook until the chili thickens, about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid sticking.