Texas Chili V
1 cup chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds beef round, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons ground dried Mexican oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
5 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons red jalapeno powder
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon cornmeal
Cooked beans, rice or bread
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, sauté the onions and garlic in the oil until soft.
- Add the beef and cook until browned.
- Add the salt, sugar, pepper, oregano, cumin, chili powder, jalapeno powder, tomato sauce, and 1 1/2 cups water; stir well.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a low simmering boil and cook, partially covered, for 1 hour 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To thicken chili add cornmeal and stir well to combine. Return to low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Serve with beans, rice, or bread on the side: all useful for muffling the heat. Also helpful is a tablespoon of sour cream.