1/2 pound dry pinto beans
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 pounds ground beef
2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
2 onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/3 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cumin seed
1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes
1 red chili pepper
- Sort dry pinto beans, place in a kettle, cover with water, and soak overnight.
- To the beans, add oil and chili powder. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until tender, adding water if necessary.
- In a skillet on medium heat, combine ground beef, chopped green bell peppers, chopped onions, and crushed garlic cloves. Cook until the beef is browned, stirring to crumble; drain.
- Stir into the meat, chili powder, salt, sugar, cumin seed, and whole tomatoes; cover and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Add the meat mixture to the pinto beans in the kettle. Add red chili pepper. Continue cooking for 15 minutes. Remove the red chili pepper before serving.
- Makes 8 servings