Terry's Texas Chili
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
2 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
3 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
3 tablespoons medium chili powder, such as Penzey's® or Gebhardt's®
1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
2 (10 1/2 oz) cans beef broth
4 cups water
4 corn tortillas, torn in small pieces
pinch ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cocoa
2 (15.5 oz) cans beans-kidney, black or pinto, or a combo of 2, undrained
chopped onion, tomato, jalapeno, avocado and sour cream for garnish
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, brown ground beef, onion and garlic. Drain in a colander, rinse and drain again.
- Return to pot and add tomato sauce, oregano, cumin, salt, chili powders, broth, tortillas, cinnamon and cocoa.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 1 hour, stirring frequently.
- Add beans and their liquid and simmer another 30 minutes, adding water as needed for desired consistency.
- Pass garnishes and serve with cheese quesadillas.