Sue's Texas Chili
2 pounds ground sirloin
1 cup diced onions
1 cup diced green pepper
1 cup diced celery
1 1/2 cup dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon crushed red pepper
3 cups diced tomatoes in tomato puree
2 cups chili sauce (one whole bottle)
1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup chili powder ( 2 ounces)
- Brown ground sirloin as quickly as possible.
- Add in veggies and fry for approximately 2 minutes. Now add in spices and fry into meat for approx. 3 minutes, stirring constantly so it doesn't burn. It is important in making good chili to fry these spices into the meat as it gives it a more robust flavor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT BEANS and simmer for one hour. Stir often.
- Only 40 minutes after it is cooking do you add the beans. You don't want the beans to split and cook down.
- Serve topped with cheddar cheese, cornbread, corn chips etc.
- Recipe by Sue Freeman