Spicy Texas Chili
1 small chuck roast, 3 pounds
2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
3 beef bouillon cubes
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 large onions, chopped
1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 pound can whole tomatoes
16 ounce can kidney beans
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped green onion
2 cups tortilla chips
- Trim off excess fat from beef. Cut meat off bone in chunks. Put meat and bone into a 4 to 5 quart heavy metal pan along with 1/2 cup water. Cover.
- Cook over medium-high heat until meat released juices and turns gray, about 30 minutes.
- Uncover. cook juices away. Then turn meat in rendered fat until well browned on all sides, 30 minutes more. Lift out meat. Set aside.
- To pan, add 1/4 cup water and vinegar. Scrape pan to loosen browned bits. Add bouillon cubes, chili powder, onions, and green pepper. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and their liquid. Break up tomatoes with a spoon. Add kidney beans.
- Return meat to pan. Stir to mix. Cover. Simmer until meat is tender enough to fall apart easily, 2 hours.
- Discard bones. Skim off fat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with cheese, green onion, and chips.
- Recipe by Sandi