Spicy Ham Chili
1 pound ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (28-ounce) cans chopped tomatoes, undrained
1 (10-ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In small skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onion, jalapeno and garlic until onion is tender, about 4 minutes.
- Place onion mixture in 4 to 5-quart crockpot, add remaining ingredients and mix gently. Cover and cook on High setting 4 hours.
- Serve over hot rice, with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
- Wear rubber gloves when handling chiles. When sautéing chile, do not inhale the fumes or stand with face directly over the cooking area.
- Makes 6 servings
- Recipe by Pork, The Other White Meat