Slippery Sam's Cowboy Chili
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
3 large garlic cloves, chopped fine
1/4 cup chili powder
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 cup chicken stock
1 (4 ounce) can green chiles, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon powdered red pepper
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- In a large skillet, brown the beef and drain.
- In a large stockpot, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add onion, peppers, and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add the hamburger, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste and stir well. Add chicken stock, chili powder, and remaining spices and cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes until chili thickens.
- Rinse kidney beans well and add to the pot. (If you like your chili with a touch of fire, add hot sauce or crushed dried hot peppers at this point.)
- Return pot to medium-high heat and bring to a boil again. Remove pot from heat, let stand covered for about 10 minutes, and serve.