Skillet Chili Mac
3/4 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 jalapeño chili, seeded, minced
1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup elbow macaroni
2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the meat, onion, bell pepper, garlic and jalapeño, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until the meat is browned and the vegetables tender. Drain off excess fat.
- Stir in beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes and their juice, macaroni, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and 1/3 cup water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring often, until the macaroni is tender and the liquid has evaporated.
- Top with cheese. Cover and cook for 2 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Ladle into bowls and serve. If desired, pass chopped scallions and sour cream at the table.