Skillet Chili with Dumplings
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup uncooked Cream of Wheat (any kind)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
3/4 cup sliced onion
1 pound ground chuck
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
3/4 cup green pepper strips
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- Dumplings: In medium saucepan, bring milk and salt to boiling point; slowly sprinkle in Cream of Wheat, stirring constantly. Return to boil; lower heat and cook until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and beat in butter or margarine and eggs until well mixed. Stir in parsley; set aside.
- Chili: In large skillet, sauté onions and meat until browned; drain.
- Add tomatoes, kidney beans, green pepper, chili powder, garlic salt, and if desired, red pepper. Bring to boiling point; lower heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Drop dumplings by tablespoons onto hot chili. Simmer, covered, an additional 10 to 12 minutes.
- Makes 6 servings