1/3 cup olive oil
1 pound sirloin steak, diced
1 pound ground beef
2 cups chopped onions
4 garlic cloves, crushed
3 jalapeños, seeded and chopped (see note)
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups beef broth
- Heat olive oil in a large pot.
- Brown diced sirloin steak and ground beef. Remove meat and set aside.
- In same pot, cook over medium heat, chopped onions, crushed garlic clove, and chopped jalapenos until soft. Add cornmeal, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, white pepper, and salt; cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat, add beef broth and return the beef; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, or until the meat is tender.
- Stir in black beans and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Makes 8 servings
- Use rubber gloves when handling jalapeños