Reno Red Chili
1 (3 pound) round steak, coarsely ground
1 (3 pound) chuck steak, coarsely ground
1 cup vegetable oil or suet
Black pepper to taste
3 ounces Gebhardt Chili Powder
6 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons MSG
6 small cloves garlic, minced
2 medium onions, chopped
6 dried chile pods, seeded and stemmed, boiled
30 minutes in water OR 1 (3 ounce) bottle New Mexico pepper
1 tablespoon oregano, brewed in 1/2 cup Budweiser beer (like tea)
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 cups beef broth
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, or to taste
2 tablespoons Masa Harina
- Brown meat in oil or fat, adding black pepper to taste. Drain meat and add chili powder, cumin, MSG, garlic and chopped onion. Cook for 30 to 45 minutes using as little liquid as possible. Add water only as necessary. Stir often.
- Remove skins from boiled chile pods. Mash the pulp and add to meat mixture.
- Strain oregano tea, then add to meat mixture along with paprika, vinegar, 2/3 of the beef broth, green chiles, stewed tomatoes and Tabasco sauce.
- Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring often.
- Dissolve Masa Harina in remaining beef broth then pour into chili. Simmer another 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Makes 6 servings