? Chili Verde
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons green chile powder
19 oz can green enchilada sauce
32 ounces canned tomatillos with their liquid
7 oz can hat salsa verde
3 1/2 pounds pork sirloin, cubed
Lard or oil as needed to brown
2 cups onions, finely minced
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh garlic, pressed
2 pounds diced green chiles, fresh or frozen
2 cups mixed fresh green peppers, very finely minced
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
Salt to taste
- Combine powders. Combine enchilada sauce, tomatillos and salsa verde in a chili pot.
- Press tomatillos against the side of the pot to crush. Add powders to the liquids. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently.
- Brown meat in lard or oil in batches with onions and pressed garlic. Drain meat and add to chili pot.
- Add diced green chiles. Return pot to simmer.
- After 2 hours, add half of finely minced green peppers. Add salt as desired. Taste and adjust, adding additional minced peppers as desired.
- After 2 1/2 hours thicken or thin as needed. After 2 3/4 hours adjust salt and other seasonings as needed.
- Just before turn-in add lime juice and cilantro.
- Recipe by Karen Ray - World Champion 2001