Pumpkin Turkey Chili
1 medium pumpkin, 4 to 5 pound, or 2 cup solid pack pumpkin
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, cored, diced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound lean ground turkey
4 cups diced tomatoes
2 cups tomato sauce
2 cups cooked kidney beans
1 cup whole corn kernels
1/2 cup diced green chilies, to taste
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and fresh black pepper
- Cut lid in top of pumpkin; set aside. Remove seeds and pith; replace lid. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Scoop out pumpkin flesh, leaving at least 1/2-inch to hold pumpkin shape. Dice pumpkin and set aside. Reserve pumpkin shell.
- In 6-quart saucepan, sauté onion, garlic and bell pepper in oil 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add ground meat; cook, stirring, until browned. Drain.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, reserved pumpkin (2 to 3 cups fresh or 2 cups canned), kidney beans, corn, chilies, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, simmer 30 minutes or to desired consistency. Stir often.
- Adjust seasoning. Serve from reserved pumpkin shell. Garnish if desired with shredded cheese and sour cream. Serve over cooked rice.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings