Pork and Tomatillo Chili
1 cup orange juice
1 (12-ounce) bottle dark beer
1 pound tomatillos, husks removed, quartered
1/4 cup peanut oil
10 cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds boneless pork, cut into cubes
2 large yellow onions, quartered
2 pounds roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 jalapeño chiles, seeded and diced (see note)
2 serranos chiles, seeded and diced (see note
2 habaneros chiles, seeded and diced (see note)
3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
1 bunch cilantro, chopped (leaves only)
1 (16-ounce) can black beans, drained
- In a large saucepan, combine orange juice, beer and tomatillos. Cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in half of the pork and season with salt and pepper to taste. Brown on all sides, then remove from skillet and add to tomatillo mixture.
- Cook remaining pork the same way, seasoning with salt and pepper. Add to tomatillo mixture.
- Brown onions in the same skillet before adding to pork and tomatillo mixture.
- Add tomatoes, all chiles, hot pepper sauce and cilantro. Cover and simmer over low heat for 2 hours.
- Add beans and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes more.
- Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve over rice.
- Makes 6 servings