Old Texas Settlers Bean Chili
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion
- 1 can kidney beans plus all of the liquid
- 1 can pinto beans plus all of the liquid
- 1 can butter beans plus all of the liquid
- 1 can pork and beans plus all of the liquid
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 - 2 shakes hot sauce, optional
- Brown meat. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Combine all ingredients in large roasting pan.
- When pouring in beans, MAKE SURE you pour in ALL of the liquid. Do not omit anything or taste will suffer.
- Cook in oven for 1 hour. Remove and let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
- Recipe will produce about 4-6 bowls. Double recipe for large gatherings.
- Comment from Hally: I have found that for a thick great tasting chili, refrigerate overnight then cook on low in a Crock Pot for 1-2 hours the next day.
- Contributed by Hally Lott