Mushroom Super Bowl Chili
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 7 1/2 cups sliced fresh white mushrooms
- 2 1/2 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (19-ounce) can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large saucepan heat oil; add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chili powder and cumin; cook about 30 seconds.
- Add white mushrooms; cook stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add stewed tomatoes, beans, olives and water. Simmer about 10 minutes uncovered to blend flavors.
- Serve with tortillas; garnish with shredded lettuce, diced fresh tomatoes and shredded cheddar cheese if desired.
- Makes 4 servings
- Recipe by the Mushroom Council