2-½ lbs. lean coarse ground beef or chuck tender cut into 3/8-inch cubes
1 tbsp. cooking oil
1 tsp. season salt
1 tbsp. Mexene chili powder
1-½ tbsp. onion granules
1 tbsp. paprika
2 tsp. garlic granules
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. cayenne
5 tbsp. Mexene chili powder
3 tsp. cumin
1-½ tsp. garlic granules
¼ tsp. dark brown sugar
1 package Sazon Goya or ½ tsp. MSG (optional)
1 tsp. “Original” Louisiana Hot Sauce
- In a four-quart heavy saucepan, add the ingredients from Step 1 while browning the meat.
- Add one 8 oz. can of tomato sauce and one 14-½ oz. can of beef broth then bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for ½ hour.
- Combine spices from Step 2 and add mixture to pot. Drop in 1 beef and 1 chicken bullion cube. Continue to simmer for 1 hour. Add spring water as needed.
- Combine spices from Step 3 and add mixture to pot, simmer chili for ½ hour adding spring water as needed to desired consistency. Add salt to taste and extra dashes of “Original” Louisiana Hot Sauce for additional heat.
- Recipe by Honey Jones - 2003 Terlingua International Chili Championship