Green Garlic Chili
3 lbs fresh pork, cubed in small pieces or coarsely ground
1/2 cup olive oil
3 cloves fresh garlic
Salt and white pepper to taste
1 large onion
6 to 8 fresh New Mexico green chiles or
2 to 4 small cans whole green chiles, chopped
3 large fresh, home grown GREEN tomatoes
- Heat oil in heavy Dutch oven or stainless pot.
- Cook pork until it is white and braised on all sides. Remove pork from pot.
- Sauté garlic and onion in oil until onion is clear. (Don't chop garlic; sauté peeled, whole cloves.)
- Chop tomatoes and green chiles; add them to the onion-garlic mix. Sauté.
- Put pork back into the pot. Add enough water to cover and simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until pork is done and chili is thick and rich looking.
- You may need to add more water during the cooking process. Stir to prevent sticking.
- This is great alone or served in flour tortillas with plenty of picante sauce.