Garlic Festival Chili
5 lbs. pork loin, 2-inches thick, trimmed of fat
3 1/2 tablespoons Garli Garni seasoning, divided use
3 onions, sliced 1 inch thick
1/3 cup vegetable oil, divided use
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup paprika
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 jalapeño chile, seeded, stemmed and chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons filé powder
5 cups chicken stock
2 cups puréed tomatoes
2 poblano chiles, seeded, stemmed and chopped
50 cloves medium garlic, peeled
- Prepare coals for grilling. Season pork with 2 tablespoons Garli Garni seasoning. Brush pork and onion with some of the vegetable oil. Grill pork until brown on outside and rare on inside; grill onions until charred. Allow both to cool. Dice pork and onions and set aside.
- Heat remaining vegetable oil in a deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat until very hot. Reduce heat and whisk in flour until roux is deep brown and smells nutty, 8 to 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Combine paprika, chili powder, jalapeño and filé powder in a bowl. Bring stock, tomatoes, and poblanos to a simmer in a saucepan. Over low heat, whisk paprika mixture into roux and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in hot stock 1 cup at a time.
- Add onions and bring to a boil. Add remaining 1½ tablespoons of Garli Garni, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, blanch garlic in boiling water until tender, 7 to 10 minutes; drain. Add garlic to chili and simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pork and simmer until cooked through, about 15 minutes. Serve with rice.
- Makes 6 servings