Dynamite Chili with Beans
- 2 cup water
- 1 tbsp oil or bacon drippings
- 1 onion, sliced
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 lb boneless pork, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1/3 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 16 oz canned whole tomatoes, drained
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 diced green chile, Jalapeno or Serrano
- 1 tsp dried oregano, preferably Mexican, crumbled
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup dried pinto beans, soaked overnight then drained
- 2 tbsp prepared tortilla flour or masa harina, mixed with water to form a paste (optional)
- Combine water and beans in medium saucepan and bring to boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 1 hour.
- Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Add onion, green pepper, and garlic. Saute until tender. Transfer to Dutch Oven and set aside.
- Add pork and beef to same skillet. Brown well. Stir into vegetables in Dutch Oven. Add beans and their liquid along with tomatoes and seasonings. Mix well, cover and simmer 1 hour. Add wine and cook, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. If mixture is too liquid, stir in some of the tortilla flour paste to thicken.