Dead Man's Chili
- 1 pound lean beef, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups stewed chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 6 whole jalapeno peppers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoon freshly ground cumin, divided
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 12 ounces beer (not lite)
- 1 teaspoon Angostura Bitters
- 4 ounces sour mash whiskey
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup yellow Masa Harina
- 2 ounces tequila
- 2 1/2 pounds coarsely ground beef chuck
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped green and/or red bell pepper
- Cook meat, 1 clove of garlic and 1 onion together. Mix all other ingredients except 1 tablespoon of cumin together and pour over meat in a large pot.
- Bring slowly to a boil and stir continuously until boiling. Cook at a boil for 10 minutes and then lower heat to medium-low for 15 minutes, stirring several times.
- Lower heat again to simmer and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining cumin after cooking for 1 hour. You may make this hotter by slashing the sides of the jalapeno peppers and by adding more of them.
- Serve over rice with hot cornbread. Great when served over scrambled eggs as well.