Crockpot Texas Chili
2-3 lbs. round or sirloin steak, cut 1/2-inch thick
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup dark chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 cup dark beer
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup masa (or cornmeal)
2-3 fresh jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- Cut the steak into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a heavy skillet, brown the beef with the onion. Drain off excess fat, add garlic and stir over medium heat another minute.
- Transfer beef mixture to the crockpot. Add salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, beer and water. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Stir masa or cornmeal with enough water to make a smooth paste. Stir paste into chili. Turn crockpot to high and cook uncovered for additional hour.
- Recipe by the Texas Beef Council