Craig Claiborne's Real Texas Chili
- 3 pounds boneless chuck, 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 to 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 broth can of water
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Sauté beef in oil in 4-quart pot until meat changes color but doesn't brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Combine chili powder, cumin and flour in cup. Add with garlic to beef; stir to coat meat. Add oregano.
- Combine broth and water in bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups broth mixture and pepper to meat.
- Simmer, partially covered, 1 1/2 hours, stirring.
- Add remaining broth mixture to meat; simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes or until meat is very tender.
- Add beans; heat through. Garnish with sour cream and lime.