- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound smoked link sausage, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained, liquid reserved
- In a stockpot, combine beef, sausage and onion; cook until beef is browned, stirring to crumble; drain.
- Add reserved bean liquid to pot along with tomatoes, ketchup, chili powder, brown sugar, mustard and salt.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in reserved beans and cook an additional 15 minutes before serving.