- 4 cups water
- 1 #10 can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 4 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons Hershey’s cocoa
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 to 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- In a 2-gallon kettle, combine water, undrained tomatoes and tomato juice. Begin cooking over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in skillet, melt shortening add beef and onion-tomato mixture.
- Add garlic, bay leaves, chili powder, cocoa, oregano, cumin, sugar, salt and cayenne. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Add additional water if chili gets too thick during cooking.
- About 30 minutes before chili is done, add cilantro.
- Mix flour with 1/3 cup water; add to chili. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until chili is thickened.