- 2 pounds stew beef
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 1/2 tablespoons chili powder, divided use
- 5 teaspoons garlic powder, divided use
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon chicken base or bouillon granules
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper, divided use
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 green chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a heavy kettle, brown stew beef in oil. Stir in 1 tablespoon chili powder and 2 teaspoons garlic powder.
- In a large bowl, combine tomato sauce, beef broth, chicken base, chopped jalapeno, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon white pepper, water, 1 tablespoon chili powder, salt, and green chili peppers. Add to the beef mixture and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine paprika, Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon white pepper, and 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder.
- Add to the beef mixture, adding more beef broth or water if too thick. Remove the green chili peppers and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in cumin and salt. Simmer for 10 minutes.