Chunky Chili Chicken
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped
1 (19-ounce) can whole tomatoes and green chilies, crushed
2 (28-ounce) cans black beans, (with liquid)
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (12-ounce) can beer, (or substitute chicken stock)
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 cup baby corn (optional)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seed
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons minced cilantro leaves (optional)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black ground pepper
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
1/3 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
- In Dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add chicken and sauté until no longer pink, about 4 minutes each side.
- Remove chicken from pot; wipe pot dry. Heat remaining oil and sauté onion, garlic, bell pepper and cumin seed for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes and chilies, tomato sauce, beer and salt and pepper. Add chicken back to pot. Cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro, if desired.
- Serve hot topped with cheddar cheese.
- Makes 8 servings
- Contributed by the National Chicken Council