Chili Our Way
- 6 green chili peppers
- 3 cups water, divided use
- 3 pounds chuck roast, diced
- 6 tablespoons shortening, divided use
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 pound tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup dairy sour cream
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained, chopped
- Heat a heavy skillet until hot. Toast green chili peppers on all sides, being careful not to burn, for 1 to 2 minutes. Cool and remove the seeds.
- Combine the peppers with 1 cup water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Puree the water and chili peppers in a food processor.
- In a large kettle, saute diced boneless chuck roast in 4 tablespoons shortening until browned; remove and set aside.
- Heat 2 more tablespoons shortening in the kettle. Cook chopped onion and crushed garlic cloves over medium heat, stirring, until the onions are soft. Add cumin; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the chuck roast, the chili puree, chopped tomatoes, unsweetened baking cocoa, bay leaf, oregano, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours. Add salt; simmer, uncovered, for another hour. Discard the bay leaf.
- Use caution when handling jalapeños or other chiles. A good idea would be to use rubber gloves.