Chili and Dumplings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic clove, crushed
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid hot pepper sauce
- 1 (29-ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (29-ounce) can kidney beans
- 6 flour tortillas, sliced
- Heat oil in a kettle. Add chopped onion and crushed garlic clove and cook about 3 minutes.
- Stir in ground beef and cook for 5 to 7 minutes; drain.
- Add to the meat mixture, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, liquid hot pepper sauce, whole tomatoes (undrained), and kidney beans (undrained).
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 50 minutes.
- Layer sliced flour tortillas on top and simmer for 15 minutes more.