Chili with Cheesy Cornmeal Dumplings
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook ground beef, onion, bell pepper, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt and black pepper and cook for 1 minutes. Add the beans, undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, water.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Drop Cheesy Cornmeal Dumplings by tablespoonfuls onto simmering chili.
- Cover and simmer about 20 minutes more or until a wooden pick inserted into dumpling comes out clean.
INGREDIENTS: Cheesy Cornmeal Dumplings
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour, cheese, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Combine egg, milk and oil; add to flour mixture.
- Stir with a fork just until combined.