Brazos Turkey Chili
4 green chili peppers
1 onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons cumin seed
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon pepper
2 pounds ground turkey
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 cups seeded and chopped tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup apple cider
7 ounces jalapeños, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup baking cocoa
2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons cilantro
1/4 cup sour cream
- Lightly toast red chili peppers and green chili peppers on a griddle. Cover with boiling water and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Drain and blend in a food processor, adding just enough soaking liquid, to make a paste; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute chopped onion, crushed garlic cloves, and cumin seed over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the chili pepper paste, chili powder, coriander, cinnamon, and pepper; saute for 5 minutes and set aside.
- In a large kettle, brown ground turkey in oil. Add chopped tomatoes, chicken broth, cider and chopped jalapenos.
- Add the vegetable mixture and bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer uncovered for 30-45 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in unsweetened baking cocoa. Garnish with chopped green onions, cilantro, and sour cream.
- Makes 8 servings