Best Bean Chili
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 3 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) chili-seasoned diced tomatoes
- 1 can 15 oz. Pinto beans or 1 1/2 cups cooked dry-packaged Pinto beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) Red Kidney beans or 1 1/2 cups cooked dry-packaged Red Kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- Spray large saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot.
- Cook ground beef until browned, 5 to 8 minutes, crumbling with a fork. Add onions, bell pepper, and garlic; cook 5 minutes longer.
- Add remaining ingredients; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20 to 30 minutes.