Beef with Chipotle Chiles and Cilantro
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 cups chopped onions
3 tablespoons ground cumin
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
2 1/2 cups (or more) water
1 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
Grated Cheddar cheese
Additional chopped onion
- Sauté beef and 2 cups chopped onions in large Dutch oven over high heat until beef is cooked through, stirring often and breaking up beef with back of spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Add cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and chipotle chiles; sauté 3 minutes.
- Mix in 2 1/2 cups water and 1/2 cup cilantro. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover partially and cook 1 1/2 hours, adding more water by 1/4 cupfuls if chili becomes dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup cilantro into chili. Ladle chili into bowls. Serve, passing cheese, sour cream and additional chopped onion separately.
- Makes 4 servings
- Recipe by Clark's Outpost Barbecue Restaurant