- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 4 dried whole red chili peppers, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a large oven-safe pan, brown stew meat in vegetable oil over medium-high heat, about 4 minutes.
- Add onion and green bell pepper and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in canned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, chili peppers, bay leaves, cloves, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and paprika; mix well.
- Cover and bake for 2 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Remove bay leaf prior to serving.