Arcadian Eight Bean Chili
- 5 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb bacon
- 2/3 cup minced garlic
- 1/4 cup toasted coriander seeds, ground
- 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup cayenne pepper, or to taste for the timid of tongue
- 1/2 cup ground dried Poblano chili peppers
- 108 oz Italian plum tomatoes, with juice
- 12 oz beer
- 5 lb lean ground beef
- salt to taste
- 1/4 lb each of the following dried beans: kidney, white, pink, black, red, pinto, cranberry, and navy
- In a large pot, soak the beans together overnight in water to cover.
- Drain and add fresh water to cover.
- Cook at a simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until beans are just tender.
- While the beans are simmering, heat a large skillet.
- Mince the bacon and cook it until it begins to crisp.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add all the spices and the ground Poblanos and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice and the beer. Simmer for half an hour.
- In another pan, cook the beef until the pink color disappears. Drain and add it to tomato mixture.
- When the beans are fully cooked, drain them, reserving the liquid, and add the beans to the meat/tomato mixture.
- Salt to taste and let the mixture simmer for about 1 hour.
- If it is too dry, add some of the bean liquid.